The Gallery was established in 1978 by Niall McGill Duncan 1935-2020 and is the oldest privately run art gallery in South West Scotland. He named it after his father, an amateur artist called T G McGill Duncan (Tiger). Tiger was friends with many of the artists in the Kirkcudbright school including Charles Oppenheimer 1875-1961 and E A Taylor 1874-1951. This gave Niall a strong connection and interest in the Kirkcudbright School. He had originally planned to be a picture framer and ran his framing business in the same building from 1972, until he turned it into an Art Gallery in 1978. Niall specialised in Galloway Paintings. The Blamire Family bought the gallery when Niall retired in 2007 and the business is run by Zoe Davidson with her mother Jill Blamire. Zoe and Jill continue the tradition of selling Galloway Paintings and hold one major exhibition every year in August.
McGill Duncan Gallery is one of the oldest buildings in Castle Douglas, having been built in 1792. It is an interesting space with five exhibiting rooms and an ‘Arts & Craft’ style interior. There is also a beautiful tranquil garden.
There are several contemporary exhibitions a year and there is always a selection of studio ceramics and original prints.